Monday, June 05, 2006

Marin Farmers Market, San Rafael, CA - 4 June 06

This is definitely a family-oriented farmers market with its' kids zone area (a big jumpy castle thing) and I believe an area for pets (since they're legally not allowed in the market area).

There's a good variety of produce, fresh flowers, live plants, and food items from which to choose, some that are only found here. I noticed a few vendors who also sell at Peninsula Farmers Markets as well.

Naturally, I gravitated towards the vendors I don't see on the Peninsula. Where Gnar and I entered, there's a seafood vendor with the most incredible selection of fresh seafood. The varieties of oysters I can't even remember...the one that stuck in my mind was Hog's Island. There were live scallops and whole salmon and a mind-boggling number of fresh fish. I asked one of the folks at the stand where the wild-caught salmon came from and she said by Monterey, CA. Such beautiful salmon...I bought a thin slice.


Gandolf's Fine Chocolates caught my eye with their Nipples of Venus truffle. I bought one and got one gratis after chatting up the proprietor about our blog. OMG...the texture and flavor of the soft chocolate center of this truffle embraces your tongue and melts in your mouth as if it belongs! Heaven.


I just now had a slice of the Pumpkin Carrot bread from Flour Chlyd. I put a dollop of creme fraiche on top for a bit of contrast to the sweet. Soo good! I had a sample of the bread while at the market, but a 1-inch square that's been sitting out for hours is not quite representative of what the loaf delivers.


Marin Roots is one of the vendors that sell only at Marin Farmers Market. I brought home the rainbow baby carrots and dandelion greens. Score! I roasted the carrots and made a dandelion salad to accompany my poached salmon dinner last night.


One happy farmers market shopper am I!

Next week's finds...?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you guys seen this?
http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/map.htm

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep...thanks. That's where our first link came from.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home